A lot has happened since I last blogged. First and foremost, we've relocated to Wisconsin where the winters are blustery (but the skies are sunny, unlike Ohio that had such dreary winter months), and since moving, I have become a full time homemaker. I'm thoroughly enjoying this role and don't miss working outside the home in the least. The problem with this new setup is that I went a bit crazy and started a ton of new projects (of varying types), and have finished very little.
Goals need to be set. Structure and rules need to be put in place. I know myself. Without these, put into writing so I can review them, I will continue on the path of "start everything, finish nothing".
Without further ado, my "craft" goals for 2014 are:
- To complete or frog the following knit/crochet projects (which have been in progress for more than a year) - Mermaid Jacket, Mary Tudor Cardigan, Chain Reaction Afghan, Sock Yarn Blanket, Beekeeper's Quilt, Great American Afghan
- Complete one knit/crochet project per month that meets the criteria for the Stashdown A to Z group on Ravelry
- Spend more time quilting, cross-stitching, and weaving, and less time knitting/crocheting
- Plant a vegetable garden and can what I harvest
- Be picky about what knit/crochet projects I start - VERY picky (I've culled my queue, and frogged a lot of projects that I know will not be used if finished)
- Organize my craft area and get rid of items that will never be used.
Okay, now on to the structure and rules.
- Each month I will choose a knit/crochet project to complete for the Stashdown A to Z group. A new project can only be started if I do not have a WIP that meets the criteria for the month. (Chain Reaction Afghan, Sock Yarn Blanket, Beekeeper's Quilt, and Great American Afghan are excluded as there is a plan to complete each in 2014)
- Each month I will choose a quilting WIP and needlework WIP to work on. I will spend one hour each day on one of these projects.
- I will knit one hexipuff for the Beekeeper's Quilt, and one module for the Sock Yarn Blanket for each day of the week.
- Each month I will complete one square for the Chain Reaction Afghan and one square for the Great American Afghan.
- A new project (of any type) can only be started if 2 WIPs of that type have been completed. (The exceptions to this rule are a knit/crochet project can be started for rule 1 if no WIP meets the criteria for the month, and gifts and swap items can be started if need be)
Well, that's that. Next is to compile a list of all the projects I have in progress so I can track what gets finished and what new things get started. I'm sure this list will grow as I discover projects while organizing my craft area. Now to see if I can get my craft buddy, Amanda, to join me in my quest.