Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Wednesday Embroidery

I try to do a bit of embroidery work each day.  Some days I get really caught up in it, and accomplish a lot.  Other days, I'm lucky to get just a few stitches done.

This past week, I've been working on the portrait of Doppler cross stitch.  It's been slow going since I'm not working on this during the day, on my lovely porch with all its natural light, and gigantic magnifying lamp.  I've been trying to work on this in the evenings, with no magnification, and an Ott light.  That there is 28 count fabric folks.  And my eyes are not the eyes of a 20 year old anymore.  I'll be glad when the training with Sebastian is over and I can sit out on the porch with him, and not worry about him going through a window because he's lunging and barking at someone walking their dog down the sidewalk.


I will probably only do monthly updates of this embroidery piece.  I haven't been able to work on it much, for the same reasons I'm not doing my cross stitch on the porch.  This piece really requires me to use that magnifying lamp, and it's just too much a pain to drag it in the house, then drag it back out again, so this hasn't been worked on much at all over the past several weeks.


I am learning a lot stitching this though.  Most of the stitches are new to me, because my embroidery has mostly been limited to cross stitch in the past.  I am really liking the long and short stitch used to fill in those large leaves on the bottom.  It's just too easy to shade them using this stitch.


I had never done either stitch used to fill in all the small leaves, but I think they turned out pretty good.  I might take out that yellow outline though.  It seems too heavy using 2 strands.  I'll wait until all the leaves are done before deciding though.  It might just be that more of the work needs to be done around them.


I am really excited to get to the hummingbirds.  There is a ton of green in this piece.  Feels like it will never get done!


1 comment: